Submitted by Al on Sat, 15/02/2014 - 21:52

18/01/14. My 26nd homebrew, Chinennial due to the mix of two hops used.

Mash tun boiled the night before, 75°C in the morning

Mash 1hr 67°C throughout

5kg Pale Malt

200g Crystal Malt

Run off through bottom tap in mash tun into fermentation bin and then sparged with 6l of hot water to give 20l which was returned to the mash tun

Boil 1hr total

25g Centennial (10.3%) and 25g Chinook (11,2%) added at the start

13g Centennial (10.3%) and 12g Chinook (11,2%) added 30 minutes in

12g Centennial (10.3%), 13g Chinook (11,2%) and half a Whirlfloc tablet added with 10 minutes to go

Boiling water added during the boil to keep the volume at 5 gallons (22.7l)

Filtered to fermentation bin

Wort cooler utilised to crash temperature from 74°C to 27°C in 45 minutes. Syphoning only.

OG 1050 @ 27°C. Safale US05 dry yeast added to half pint of cooled wort and after 6 hours added to fermentation bucket. 

FG 1013 @ 19°C

5.1% 100 IBU

03/02/14 Bottled

On tasting after 2 weeks the beer is a regular APA, bitter through to the very end. Lacking in aroma but I didn't dry hop as I had issues with the last dry hopped batch, although this may have been due to my yeast recycling technique. Will dry hop the next one using another fresh yeast sachet.


Is the wort sample you start the yeast in taken from the five gallons of cool wort? If so, is there any advantage to starting the yeast this way?
I usually add the yeast to some water with a teaspoon of sugar in as I'm getting the mash tun cleaned for use.

Surely my method has the yeast coming out their dehydrated state for a few hours before the cooled wort is sitting around growing bacteria that's falling into it?   I can pitch the yeast as soon as the wort is cool enough & it hits the ground running.   I wish I was organised enough to make a starter the night before, but I never think to.

I think I've kept it a little too long. There's a little TCP & some sulphur. I couldn't drink it. It was approaching 5 months in the bottle though.